Our project grants support public programming in the humanities in Massachusetts, including but not limited to:
- humanities based civic conversations
- public lecture, conference and panel discussion
- reading and discussion programs
- film and discussion programs
- museum exhibitions and related programming
- theatrical productions with post- or pre-performance discussion
- oral history projects
- walking tours
- audio projects
- film pre-production and distribution
- content-based professional development workshops for teachers
To get a sense of some of the specific programming we have supported, we suggest a stroll through the Past Grants Awarded section.
In general, Mass Humanities prioritizes funding projects that engage those whose contact with humanities programming is limited (see our Engaging New Audiences for the Humanities initiative), and programming that responds to our current theme, Negotiating the Social Contract. Please contact one of our Program Officers if you have questions about Mass Humanities’ strategic priorities.
(Standard) Project Grant
The standard Project Grant award is up to $5,000.
(Incentive) Project Grants with a maximum award of $10,000:
Negotiating the Social Contract Project Grants
Proposals for public programs that respond to our theme, Negotiating the Social Contract, may be eligible for a maximum award of $10,000. The theme invites proposals that explore how Americans participate in creating the basic social and economic relationships that shape our society, both historically and in the present. Projects may utilize the full range of public program formats. All other Mass Humanities’ grant guidelines and restrictions apply. DETAILS
Proposals for public programs that include a detailed and realistic plan for engaging new and larger audiences with limited access to the humanities may be eligible for a maximum award of $10,000. Projects may utilize the full range of public program formats. All other Mass Humanities’ grant guidelines and restrictions apply. DETAILS
Grants for humanities-based film projects carry a $10,000 maximum and are only available for pre-production and Social Media Outreach. DETAILS
Preference will be given to projects that address Massachusetts topics.
Essentials for Applicants
- Mass Humanities accepts applications online. There are three parts to the project grant online application process. See deadlines chart for specific deadlines for each part of the application process.
- Submit an online Inquiry form (LOI) six weeks prior to the application deadline (LOI form preview).
- If LOI is approved, submit a draft about three weeks before the final application is due.
- Submit full application by deadline.
- Download and read the project grant guidelines document before submitting an online Inquiry form (LOI). Full instructions on how to apply can also be found on page 9.
- A public humanities project must be substantively rooted in one or more of the humanities disciplines.
- Humanities scholars participate in all Mass Humanities funded projects.
- Eligible: Any non-profit organization, whether or not it has 501(c)(3) status.
- All project grants are 1:1 matching grants.
|Project Grants (Three Grant Rounds Per Year)|
|Inquiry Form (LOI) Deadline||Draft Deadline||Application Deadline||Approximate
|November Round||September 21, 2015||October 13, 2015||November 2, 2015||December 14, 2015||includes film pre-production and social media outreach proposals|
|February Round||December 15, 2015||January 8, 2016||February 1, 2016||March 21, 2016||excludes film pre-production and social media outreach proposals|
|May Round||March 21, 2016||April 8, 2016||May 2, 2016||June 20, 2016||includes film pre-production and social media outreach proposals|
Guidelines/Application Related Material
Post Funding/Reporting Documents
Grantees receiving grants after August 1, 2011, are filing their reports in the online application system.
Required reports are assigned to you. Log on to complete your reports.
Grantees receiving grants prior to August 1, 2011, must submit their reports via the mail system or email.
The necessary forms you may need can be found below.
|Project Director`s Evaluation Form (all projects)|
|Participating Scholar`s Evaluation Form|
|Audience Evaluation Form|
|Interim Expenditures Report (for grants of more than $5k)|
|Final Expenditures Report|