Bringing the Smithsonian to local communities.
Museum on Main Street engages small-town audiences and brings attention to underserved rural communities. Through traveling exhibitions developed by the Smithsonian Institution and coordinated by Mass Humanities, local museums, libraries, and other cultural spaces build their capacity to reach new audiences, develop public programs, and grow new partnerships.
In 2022, Mass Humanities will coordinate its first Museum on Main Street exhibit, “Crossroads: Change in Rural America.” Six host sites will receive training from the Smithsonian and Mass Humanities, along with grants to create programs aimed at sparking conversations about the past, present, and future of their towns.
These institutions will host the exhibit during the tour:
- Essex Historical Society & Shipbuilding Museum: 9/10/2022 – 10/22/2022
- The Hull Lifesaving Museum: 10/30/2022 – 12/10/2022
- Rutland Free Public Library: 12/18/2022 – 1/28/2023
- Great Falls Discovery Center: 2/5/2023 – 3/18/2023
- Bushnell-Sage Library: 3/26/2023 – 5/6/2023
- Athol Public Library: 5/14/2023 – 6/24/2023
For more information, contact Jen Atwood at firstname.lastname@example.org.